In today’s web world, you can’t imagine a day without searching on Google. Here are some of the tips that will be useful while searchig with Google.
1) To get current time in any city anywhere in the world. Simply type time <cityname>
Ex: time hyderabad or time sanfrancisco
2) Google’s search box can be used as calculator. Simply type calculation you want, and click on search, you will be presented with result.
3) To know more about recent earthquake activity around the world. Simply type ‘earthquake’ in searchbox. If you want earthquake of a city, type earthquake <cityname>.
Ex: earthquake tokyo
4) Google can also be used to convert between Unit of Measurements.
Type “20m in ft” you will get the answer.
Ex: 130 sq yds in sq ft or 130 sq yds to sq ft
5) To find definition of any word. Simply Type define:<word>, you will get definitions of the word from online dictionaries across web.
Ex: define:web or define:change or define:information
6) Google also provides currency conversion information. Type “100INR to USD” in search box. You will be presented with conversion result.
Ex: 100 GBP to USD
7) Looking for a map of any city. Type city name followed by keyword ‘map’.
Ex: Hyderabad map
Mountain View map
8 ) To find related sites that have similar content. Type related: followed by <site name>.
9) Google ignores common words such as and, or, the, what, who etc. If you want common word to be included in search, use ‘+’ sign followed by common word.
Ex: Obama +and socialist
10) If you don’t want certain words to come in your search results, just put ‘-‘ sign before the word, then google excludes this word from search result.
Ex: obama -twitter
11) By putting phrases(“”) around any word, you can restrict google search for exact word and in the same order.
Ex: “Barack Obama”
In search results, whole word “Barack Obama” will be high lighted. If you remove phrases then you will see search results containing either Barack or Obama or both words.
12) Google search allows you to search in a particular site. use keyword ‘site:’ for this purpose.
Ex: Obama site:cnn.com
will search for word ‘Obama’ in cnn.com
Ex: twitter site:.in
will search in all indian sites for word ‘twitter’.
13) If you are webmaster or site owner and want to know, how many URLs of your site are indexed by Google, use site keyword followed by your site name.
14) And last but not least simply type your name or name of the person you just met in Google search box. You will be presented with web page search results of that person.